Sunday, January 28, 2007

I feel like my life has been in super fast motion since I have been back from Uganda. Almost two weeks ago I was in Jinja waiting for Adam to get back from buying coffee so that I could tell him about the awesome day I had just had. But Adam didn't come back.
It was about 7:30 or 8:00pm and Ben, Kym, Eli, the Bogles, and I were visiting at the Langfords house when we got the call. Adam and Moses, a Ugandan friend had been in an accident. But that is about all we knew. I had no idea that the next few hours I would spend driving to Kapchurua to find Adam and Moses, only to find that both had died. It felt like a bad dream, or like something you would see in the movies, but it definiately did not feel like reality. I couldn't believe that either of them were dead, I had just spent the last 3 weeks with Adam and had gotten to know Moses.
Coming back to the states was fast and unexpected. I couldn't wait to see friends and family but was sad to have to come back so soon. I arrived in Missoula to a great group of friends and spent the next day getting ready to go to OKC for the funeral. It seemed like from the moment I set foot in the US I felt the love of so many of you. I had calls from many friends, old and new. I had e-mails from many caring people from the states and from Uganda. Adam touched so many lives and it was easy to see.
Adam and I had many great talks while I was staying with him in Jinja. I was so proud of him. I got to see a side of him that was different then usual. Adam is a very funny person, and any time I knew that he was around I also knew that it would be fun. But in Jinja I saw an extremely caring side of Adam. Adam didn't have too but he was always watching out for me. He knew that I could take care of myself over there but still was always looking out for me. I have great memories of Adam in Uganda. One of my favorite is being stuck in a hotel in Kenya(because of car problems). The Bogles, Adam and I were reading out of the 'hotel Bible'. In the front it had John 3:16 in 15 different languages. We all read a different language and laughed so hard that night. That was my cousin, always laughing in the midst of a hard situation.
The funeral was held on this past Wednesday. I had never been to anything like it. There were so many people there who knew Adam in some way. It was great to be with my family and with the Jinja team.
I am in Flordia now and will go back to Missoula at the end of this week. Thank you for the prayers and support you have shown me and my family in the last couple of weeks.

3 comments:

S Capstick said...

Hey Lana,

I am so sorry for your loss. I have thought about you a great deal in the past weeks and how difficult it must have been for you to have been here when it happened. I am not sure if they told you (I am sure you know) they held a memorial for Adam and Moses last week. I actully think adam would have shaken his head at how Ugandan it was. It was actully pretty fitting. I had a chance to speak and while I couldn't say half of what I felt it was pretty healing for me. Just please know that we are all thinking about you and your family at this time. I am not sure if you knew him, but Adams and my mutual language teacher said something that helped me alot: Adam and Moses were servants of God and He has reassigned them to a more important task. my email is Seancapstick@hotmail.com if you ever want to talk.

Carrie said...

Lana,

I've been thinking and praying for you constantly. I'm so sorry for your loss. You are in my prayers.

~Carrie Chilcoat

Debby McCrary said...

Lana,

I pray that you feel God's arms around you.
I know you gave light to the people of Jinja, just by the gift of kindness that is abundant in your life.
I also know the loss of your precious cousin, is still not real, and somehow, someway, God will keep you in HIS arms as you carry on through this tragedy.

I love you always and forever!
Mom