Saturday, November 06, 2010

Day 6

The day has just started and honestly I'm having a hard time finding something to be thankful for already.  I am consumed with a feeling of loneliness yet again for the 1000000000th day in a row.  The bad thing is that it's only going to get worse in the next few months.  Nathan is starting basketball season and today spending the day driving to Springfield to be with his nephew for about 2 hours for his birthday.  I'm not going because riding in a car is very uncomfortable these days and I don't want to spend my Saturday in the car.  I'm glad he is going and I realize that I could go and not be alone instead of complaining right now but I just don't want to.
When it comes to my life here in Missouri I have a very hard time being thankful.  Mainly because I feel lonely here a lot.  I could write a lot about why I feel so alone but this is suppose to be about Thankfulness.
Last night we went to the Community Cafe.  I love going there and talking to the people.  The Cafe is a place here where poor/homeless people can go for a hot meal 5 days a week.  A lot of them are older and just want to talk to you.  Most of the time they don't make sense but it's still good to talk to them and listen to their stories.
One person there is Mrs. Taylor.  She is a retired teacher who is now a substitute teacher.  But she doesn't sub a lot because she is constantly going on mission trips.  She just returned from Mexico and is going to Haiti for the 4th time this year in about a week.  She welcomes people to the Cafe and kinda takes attendance.  Mrs. Taylor lives just down the street from the Cafe in a pretty bad part of town.  I love how she is intentional and incarnational in everything she does.  She lives alone but I don't think she is lonely at all.  She has filled her life with the Mission of God.  I'm thankful for Mrs. Taylor.  I'm thankful that she is here to remind me that life isn't always about having lots of friends or feeling apart of a church or a family.  Those things are all very sad and I wish life was better but I'm thankful for God showing me people like Mrs. Taylor.  I can't go on mission trips right now, but I can ask God to show me things here that need to be done for Him.  My prayer today will not be on taking the loneliness away but to open my eyes to see God working in my life.  I'm thankful for a Savor who is willing to let me be apart of his Kingdom.

1 comment:

Debby McCrary said...

It seems like Ms. Taylor might enjoy at visit from you or time in your home. I, too, have been richly blessed by Ladies who have weathered there own storms.

I hope that someday you will look back on this post and say, " With God, I made it work.

Yesterday I saw a saying that won't leave me alone. I was something like, "If you want this world to be a better place, let it begin with you."

Love you and wish you the best...which is not always a place, but a perspective.